Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The Interweave Press 'Knitting Daily' post is having a UFO count.

I took a big breath and counted up. NINE UFOs. Not quite all my fingers. You want pictures???

Ha, while I was digging out UFOs I discover one more - so that's TEN UFOs (like green bottles hanging on the wall). But then I discovered longest lasting UFO really IS being eaten by moths so in the bin it went. 17years is rather a long time not to finish something anyway - it just wasn't meant to be. So we're back to NINE multicoloured UFOs hanging on the wall.

1) One guernsey languishing in the attic being eaten by moths. I don't think I had enough yarn to finish it. This has been sitting there for getting on 17years. Time to frog it. As noted above - when I fetched it out of the attic to photograph - it was indeed irretrievably moth eaten and holy - in the bin it went, after a pic for posterity. See - blogging DOES have its uses.
2) One guernsey being knitted from a rather attractive tweedy yarn frogged from a jumble sale find. I do like recycling. This has been sitting around several years but not quite as long as UFO number one had.


Both of these are from my own patterns so it takes a bit of figuring out when I go to pick them up again as to where exactly I am, what I'm supposed to be doing and what my name is.

3) The great Kaffe Fassett Tumbling Blocks bedspread. I don't mind that this is a WIP - it's being knitted from all kinds of leftovers from my stash so it doesn't really matter how long it takes. I think. AM I deceiving myself here?


4) The Lars jumper - being knitted in a yarn I got given for last Christmas that I don't really like, or even like knitting with. Probably why I'm not getting on with it. Is there such a thing as a UFO counsellor out there?


5) The Cabin Fever Swing Coat knitted from the top down. Now what HAVE i done with the pattern???


6) Travelling socks. Knitted on teeny tiny needles in 3ply and very hard to see what the hell the pattern is supposed to be doing and where I am. And the diagram doesn't make sense. Or I'm not doing it right. Am I making excuses? Much harder than I thought they would be.



7) Karen's KAL gloves. Suffering from second glove syndrome. Started the second one, but then stalled as I got distracted by the next project.

8) Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Cable Jacket. Yum. I'm zooming on with this and will finish it before the year is out. It's looking really great and I'm pleased with it. I'm doing it with as few seams as I can get away with...


9) One Sock for DS Seth. Oh dear - he's got huge plates of meat and I don't think it will fit - not the length but the width! I added stitches to the original pattern too :-( So I've nearly finished the first sock but they've stalled.


10) The one I forgot when I was counting up - I was messing around with knitting plastic bags over a year ago (when I started blogging I think) - and mixed the plastic with some dire pink acrylic yarn I had hanging around in my stash (I hate pink) - I think I was knitting a peg bag - plastic being fairly indestructible.


Well this is dreadful. I need to really get down to business and finish what I've started. But then I've been looking at Astrid's Dutch Obsessions and hankering after Kauniyarn after seeing at the Harlot's place. I want to knit Ruth Sorenson's Rainbow cardigan (and I've ordered the yarn slap my wrist with a wet lettuce leaf). And this! I've always wanted to knit one of those jackets - Resistance is USELESS!
That all took an age - Blogger playing silly b*****s and refusing to upload pics. Got there in the end and more knitting time wasted...
Thanks for all your welcome backs - mucho appreciated.

14 comments:

The Imperfect Knitter said...

Your knitting is inspirational , I love everything you are knitting . I must have a rainbow cardigan , but I am tying my hands to my sides so I can't order the yarn . I have counted my ufo's (31 ), I am in denial, I am Ronnie, I am a startaholic.

Wendy said...

Hey Ronnie, I'm with you I just blogged about my UFO's and there are 25 listed plus 4 I just finished in the last couple of days that have been hanging around for ages and I KNOW there are a couple more hiding somewhere.......

TutleyMutley said...

You guys have me rolling about the floor with laughter - I feel soooo much better now - in fact I might just go and cast on the felted clogs that have been hanging around waiting to be knit for ages.

Terri said...

Ok, I feel like gloating...I only have 7 current WIPs. We just won't mention the one pair of socks that got take off the list because the one sock that got knitted was hideous or the cabled 'thing' I found hiding in a bag (so ugly and so long hiding, I've forgotten what it was meant to be). AND the child's jumper that was meant for my daughter when she was five - she's now 22. LOL. I've actually kept that one. I'll finish it eventually for my granddaughter. :o)

Piglottie said...

I'm feeling positively angelic with only 3 WIPs :) but then I haven't been knitting anywhere as long as you TutMut. I love the gloves - you sooooo need to finish them :)

PS: Chanterelles eh? I think I may have seen one on Sunday but wasn't sure so didn't pick it. I need to go on one of the proper fungi forays to learn the secrets and identification and then I can feast :)

Hellbelle said...

You have some LOVELY stuff there. How could you abandon those fairisle mitts??!


*polishes halo only having 3 projects on the go - yesterday it was only 2"*

Joanna said...

I feel a bit of an odd bod as I don't have any lurking wips to count,just the one, I'm always impressed with how people have several on the go at one time, I only seem to manage one or two!

maylin said...

Only 9? I was in the thirties at the beginning of the year but think I may have it below 20 now. Mainly by frogging things. I adore the Cashmerino cable jacket. Where can the pattern be found?

Susie Hewer said...

Hi Tut Muts,

Glad you've started blogging again. I really will put the shaping for my thumb on my fair isle gloves on my blog soon. Sorry, I keep getting sidetracked by my WIPs!

Were you tempted by the Dartmoor Vale marathon last weekend? I think you and your short legged friend need a new challenge for next year now you've conquered the 1/2 marathon distance!

Anonymous said...

I adore that bedspread! And the gloves! :)

I'm with Jo in not having many things on the go at once. I get too confused as to what to work on when there are more than a couple.

Spinningfishwife said...

Take my advice...frog the three you least like/don't fit/know you'll never finish. It will make you feel MUCH better about the rest. That's what I did '''frogged two, and now I feel much better about the remaining five. Light at end of tunnel and all that.

Sarah said...

I don't think I'm ready to come to terms with my UFOs yet! I might start to panic.

I love the Debbie Bliss Cable Jacket, I can't wait to see it finished.

TutleyMutley said...

OOoo I don't think I'm ready to frog anything - throwing that old half knitted guernsey in the bin was bad enough!
Lovely to see all the familiar names come visiting - waves! Even if I did abandon blogging for the summer.

The pattern for the Debbie Bliss cashmerino cable jacket is free on the Prima magazine site - you'll have to register (tis free) but there's some lovely patterns available...
Am off hashing tonight - and probably turn into a pumpkin.

Ang said...

I don't feel so bad now I have about 9 UFOs too. Brave you throwing one away!