Thursday, December 20, 2007

SEASON'S GREETINGS!

Wishing everyone Season's Greetings and a very Happy, Healthy, Prosperous, yarnbookchocolatewine filled, Knitty Knew Year...
I'm off for a quick visit to Eire to play Santa to my nephews, then back here on Christmas Eve for Christmas day with my men - we've got the neighbours coming over in the evening to play silly games (I bought Cranium 'specially). Then it's off to Horsham to see M-I-L on her birthday and back to work a week Friday. No time/opportunity for blogging next week then.
I can feel a blogging New Year's resolution coming on.


Before I go - couple of rants, just to get 'em off my chest. I met the postie t'other morning, whilst out walking the mutts before work. He gave me a card with £1.06 excess charge to pay. I handed over the money - but read on the envelope whilst strolling home, that £1 was a 'handling charge' because a friend had not realised that her (normal sized) card was a fraction too large and thus fell into the 'large letter' category and should have had 6p over the first class stamp she had affixed. What bloody bureaucratic nonsense is this? Are the Royal Mail so uncharitable that they can't waive 6p at Christmas? I resent paying this penalty, but I can at least afford it. What about pensioners who can ill afford that quid? Take note, card manufacturers and bah humbug to the W****** at the Royal Mail who are responsible. Reckon we should all not bother with cards and donate to charity instead (like I've done for the last couple of years, then felt cosumed with guilt that I'd neglected my friends...)
And later that same day - I phoned Irish Ferries to book a foot passenger ticket for me - and my dogs - to go to Ireland for the weekend. "Sorry", says the telesales person on the end of the 'phone, "Dogs are no longer allowed on board with footpassengers". I do sincerely apologise for my curt response, Mrs telesales person, as I realise it's not YOUR fault that I can't bring my dogs to Eire, but I am outraged that dogs have been banned because of "hygeine and safety". They've never been allowed anywhere but in the kennels on the cardeck anyway. And if I wanted to take them in my car (for an extra £160) then THAT'S ok - and hygeine and safety are no longer an issue - despite having to lodge in those self same kennels.
Shakes fist at anonymous b******* in offices who have no hearts.

See you all next year.

10 comments:

Piglottie said...

Happy Christmas and have a wonderful New Year TutMut!

Enjoy Eire too, and I hope the dogs dont pine for you too much. That is ridiculous, but nothing surprises me nowadays. However, the Royal Mail thing drives me insane! I only send cards as I handmake my own (otherwise I would do same as you - donate to charity, feel guilty for not sending to friends lol). Anyway, I was in the PO forever the other day as they had to check ever single card to see if it was too thick for the new regulations. I took forever. Stupid new system :(

Kate said...

Bah Humbug! Don't get me started in the Post Office department. Just for interest what is "hashing"? It sounds faintly "alternative" (Just wondering.) Hope Ireland is as wonderful as ever - I had a great afternoon once with Sue Redican, who is a spinner and weaver working on the Great Blasket Island - what a wonderful, inspirational place that is.

maylin said...

For bureaucracy you really need to come to France. I had 3 euros to pay on some yarn from Turkey once and with the admin charge and the carriers handling fee for taking the money and VAT it came to over 50 euros!

Don't you just think sometimes it is just new ways for them to get more out of you?

Have a great time in Eire and a wonderful Christmas.

Ang said...

Oh my! You did have a day of it. It is ridiculous that dogs can't go to Ireland, for goodness sake, i bet they can travel from England to Wales ok. What's the damn difference if they're in kennels anyway!?
And the postie thing, what would have happened if you weren't in, would they not have posted the card?
just ridiculous!

Hope you have a wonderful time in Ireland...

Seahorse said...

Wishing you a lovely Christmas and a Peaceful and Prosperous New Year!

belaybunny said...

Have a great Christmas and New Year!!

I've had that twice with the £1.06 thing so far in the last couple of weeks - grrrr indeed!!

DirkStar said...

Happy New Year!!

Susie Hewer said...

Happy New Year Terri! May 2008 bring you health and happiness. Susie x

andsewtosleep said...

Hi There
found you via a google search for Stitchnbitch groups and just wondered if you still meet and if so are you open to new members? I live in Exmouth and confess to being a lapsed knitter with a New Years resolution to restart!
Mary

Terri said...

When I was in the UK I was really surprised by how dog-friendly businesses etc were over there. Dog outings are very regulated over here in Aus, (health and hygeine!) and have been for a very long time. I was absolutely STUNNED by the French though. I just couldn't get my head around taking dogs into restaurants and food stores! Guess I've become VERY used to the regulations here. :o) But just for the record, I do think the Ferry policy reeked of a double standard!! Happy New Year to you Terri