Sunday, April 15, 2007

Knitting Update...
I have dug out a UFO from the box of stash lurking under clothes in the bedroom! AND I've nearly finished it! Wonders will never cease. It's a jumper for a year old, from Debbie Bliss' 'Baby Knits' (not the new one, but the one she did with the Good Housekeeping Institute in October 1988)- moss stitch, with a collar, knitted on 4mm needles. The reason why this has been dusted off (literally!) was because all my other projects need concentrating on and I needed somthing mindless for doing whilst watching videos or whilst walking the dogs. I've only got half the sleeve and the collar to finish off, so I'm well pleased. Don't know who I'll give it to yet - but it'll probably go to my friend Yas's baby Jago. Yas has little babies so it'll last him a while.


So what about the mindlessly simple socks I was going to start? (As mentioned in the post on March 26th) It's ALL my secret pal's fault (Thanks Terri!). She sent me the Fall 2006 issue of Vogue Knitting and the pattern for THESE was in there: Traveler's socks by Nancy Bush (I think this is a pattern from her book ' Knitting on the Road') which I'm seriously thinking of getting. However - having done a quick search, the pattern isn't like these - because the pattern continues down the instep after the cuff, so maybe it isnt' the same. Not only is this pattern NOT simple but probably the most complex sock pattern I've knitted in a long time: it's got lots of little crossed stitches in it, to make teeny weeny cables - but it's such fun that I keep having to remind myself to put it down in order to get on with 'real life' - it really is just a case of 'just one more row'... The designer, Nancy Bush, says that the design was inspired by an antique sock she saw on her travels to Estonia:

"The design is made up of diamonds that when knitted resemble a knotted pattern
and zigzag lines. Together they remind me of paths through fields or
forest, or perhaps even in life, where traditions, cultures and ideas
cross and one thing leads to another."

I'm knitting it in St Ives 3ply bluey/greeny slightly flecked sock yarn that I've had sitting in my stash for a while. So I'm feeling virtuous about not buying any more yarn. The circ is 2mm Addi Turbo - very slinky. I reckon they'll look great under jeans.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! I knew you'd make something from that magazine! I so envy your sock-making skills because I'm just learning and can't do much more than your basic ribbing pattern. There are so many cool patterns I want to do, but I guess you've gotta start somewhere! And your socks quite inspire me.. thanks for that!

Ang said...

those socks look fab! I love cable on socks, it looks so intricate, I've not had a go myself.