Sunday, October 08, 2006

Walks - SWCP the last two days, Sat & Sun.

Next morning we packed up very leisurely and were disappointed to see the tail lights of the bus disappearing up the hill just as we emerged from the farm gates. We trudged on up the hill fantasising about bacon butties at the top - next best thing - a garage with an array of fruit, snacks and saffron buns. Bus came along the main road after a 5 minute wait and plopped us off in Marazion again, where we had a cup of caffeine to gee us up.

The way is well signposted - at least at the start, and we could see ST Michael's Mount in the distance as we walked throught fields. In Ludgvan village we found a pub set in aspic.

It seemed set in some previous time and all dimpsy inside. Publican not so sure about providing us with a packed lunch but was eventually persuaded to give us probably the most expensive foil wrapped rolls for our onward journey.

The next few way markers were knocked over - local disapproval of St Michael's way?

Walking through fields was certainly a contrast to the coast path - here we startled some calves...

And there were some strange sights to be seen over hedges -

Once we got past Trencrom Hill, we set off in search of the last campsite we would need, and left the footsteps of St Michael (it went along roads from there anyway - and we had a preference for footpaths through fields and woods. We followed the cows in for milking (along with a bull trying to rut) around Trink Farm. Eventually we found Balnoon on the foothills of Lelant Downs - small, pretty, clean and with a very pleasant and welcoming owner, Mrs Lang, who evidently has long term campers returning year after year.

Many of the stiles marked on the map were overgrown and disused around here. Got stung by nettles and bashed by flying rucksacks. Jane got mild sunstroke and I wasn't a very sympathetic nurse. We slept like logs.

Sunday, last day, we were only a short stroll of two miles from St Ives.

This is Jane looking a bit more refreshed! We had an amazingly zen like experience - in the flow. We had breakfast of croissants and coffee in a cafe in St Ives, sitting outside overlooking the sea. The waitress was so impressed with Syd she gave him a special biscuit treat. Then we strolled around The Tate while Syd waited outside. After that, it was time for a lunch of Pasties (what else, in Cornwall?). By which time we thought we'd better get along to the station for the train home (not looking at watches at all). The train was WAITING for us! All connections strightforward and we were home for a cup of tea by 5pm. Wonderful.

Sadly a lot of my photos seem to have disappeared in the resetting of my computer, even though I thought I'd saved them on a CD. Tant pis. Hope I'll get some good ones in Thailand.

As a wonderful, leisurely, magical trip (lots of leylines!) I'd recommend walking from St Ives to St Ives. And there's a huge number of guest houses if you don't fancy carrying all the gear like we did.


Emily said...

Hi - looks as if you've had a lovely week - thanks for the comment on my blog (craftycocktail). THe weather was stupendously bad for the coast to coast week, and the kayak from Totnes to Dartmouth (higher ferry slipway) took even the best more than 2.5 hours, as there was a headwind. Clare survived though!

We then had good weather and lots of fun, kiting at Bantham and so on. Torcross was a lovely place to staty, too. Hope Thailand goes well, Emily (Ginny)

Piglottie said...

Great photos, looks like you had a beautiful walk. The Kaffe Fassett tumbling blocks bedcover/blanket is looking great. Have a wonderful time in Thailand!

veganknitter said...


The walk to St Ives looks lovely. When I met you in Birmingham in June I was quite keen on doing a coastal walk while in St Ives; well it diodn't happen as my sister decided to come with me and we spent the time eating and drinking white wine instead.

Ho hum; I'll have to come with you next time.

Have a great time in Thailand